We tried this recipe, Curried Quinoa with Tangerines and Cranberries, recently. I found it in Best Lunch Box Ever, a book I think would be a great resource for parents looking to provide both nutritionally rich and interesting food for their children. The author, Katie Morford, is a registered dietician and has been widely published.
What do you think? Does your family enjoy quinoa as much as mine? I keep cooked quinoa on hand all the time, so I was really excited to find a great new and tasty way to use it.
Is this something that you would put in your child’s lunchbox? Let me know.
- 2 tangerines, peeled
- 1⅓ cups cooked quinoa or couscous
- ¼ cup toasted, slivered almonds
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon curry powder
- pinch of salt
- Cut the tangerines in half crosswise. Set aside one half for its juice. Pull apart the tangerine segments and put into a medium bowl.
- Add the cooked quinoa, almonds, and cranberries to the bowl. Squeeze the juice from the remaining tangerine half over the quinoa.
- Mix together the olive oil, vinegar, curry powder and salt and then add the dressing to the bowl.
- Toss together until ingredients are evenly distributed.