Now if you were paying attention at all, you will remember that I included this gem of a book, Keepers, written by Kathy Brennan and Caroline Campion in a Friday Favorites post earlier this month. But I am coming back to it again because, and I don’t say this lightly, I love this book. I have been collecting recipes and cookbooks, I think, since I was about 18. I have a collection of Gourmet Magazines that I have literally toted around the world with us and my family and friends have endured endless trials and tribulations, variations of recipes until they have screamed “no more!”
I was excited when I first read about Keepers for several reasons:
- if you flip through the book, no recipe has a very long list of ingredients – really important for moms
- the recipes come from different cooking traditions, European and Asian, drawing on the Belgian and Japanese mothers of the writers
- it’s all kid friendly – your children can help you cook and will enjoy eating it
- great tips to keep mess to a minimum – I made the crustless quiche using one 4 cup measuring cup as suggested – brilliant!
So far we have tried and LOVED…
- Asian Pork Sliders with Magic Miso-Mayo
- Toasted Orzo Risotto Style
- Pork Tenderloin with Double Apple Sauce
- Asparagus with Sesame Dressing and
- Skillet Asparagus
- Morning Chicken
- Sautéed Tilapia with Citrus-Soy Marinade
- Asian Style Slaw
All of these were so easy and got rave reviews – even from a three year old!
These two ladies know a little something about cooking! They were editors at Saveur magazine. Can you imagine getting to taste test all the food that would be cooked in preparation for putting together a monthly magazine? Oh my! So, of course, they talked about what they were fixing for dinner when they got home, and this book grew out of their work, their conversations and what they were cooking. Aren’t we the lucky ones?!
If you are looking for a gourmet cookbook, this is not it. But if you are looking for a cookbook that will help you put good, nutritious food on the table for your family without stress AND in the process you can learn a little something, then this IS the book for you!
Keepers … worth keeping!